30 days is exceptionally longer than a two or three day film competition, but time can still run out if you don’t plan carefully. These five steps will help you better prepare for the End of Days Film Challenge and put your team on the right track to success.
1. Read the Official Rules. This is the only way you’re going to know what requirement to meet. Don’t get disqualified for something silly. OFFICIAL RULES
2. Print and Organize the Necessary Production Paperwork. Nobody likes paperwork, but contracts are essential for distribution, especially if your movie is picked for the feature film! Don’t neglect the little things. PRODUCTION DOCUMENTS
3. Organize Your Team. This seems like a no brainer, but filmmakers still scramble at the last minute to recruit their cast and crew. The requirements for the EOD Film Challenge are very loose, which allows team leaders to actively brainstorm a storyline and get a general idea of their cast and crew needs, as well as shooting locations and dates.
4. Secure Your Locations. This can be tricky when you don’t have a script completed, but on the other hand, having a good location can make script writing a lot easier. Find and secure those unique locations that are conducive to an apocalyptic event.
5. Prep and/or Rent Your Equipment. Make sure all your equipment is in good working order. If you’re planning on renting one or several pieces of equipment, don’t delay. Someone else could snag that perfect lens, so rent today!
Remember, scheduling is key when producing a film in 30 days. We recommend that you break down your production schedule similar to this:
Week 1: Script writing & Preproduction
Week 2: Production
Week 3: Post Production, pick-up shots, and special effects
Week 4: Post Production, sound & music design, foley
If you check these 5 steps off your list and plan accordingly before the first day of the challenge, you’ll be in a better position to compete and ultimately complete your film.
By failing to plan, your planning to fail. Don’t be caught off guard in the End of Days!